- starting with 4 people meeting in 1904, Rotary now has over 1.250,000 members worldwide and covers all cultures and religions.
- Any member can visit any of the 34,000 clubs in over 200 countries worldwide and is encouraged to do so
- Rotary is based on what happens in clubs which helps to give personal development, friendship and social activity as well as service
- However when clubs combine efforts to tackle problems, they are very effective
- One of these is to eradicate polio which is almost done
- but it supports many other international, national and local causes
- because of this, Rotary is the only NGO with an office at the UN (by invitation)
- it is wide open to all races and gender
- The President for Rotary in the UK (referred to as RIBI) as from July 2013 is Nan McCreadie, she will be the first woman president
- However many Rotary clubs and districts in other countries have female presidents
- the minimum age for joining Rotary is 18
Did you know that…..
Permanent link to this article: http://rchweb.co.uk/about-us/did-you-know-that/